Archive For: Community

Saluting a Hero: “LUKE”

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 5.34.48 PMScreen Shot 2015-02-08 at 5.46.07 PM

Staff Sergeant Leon H. Lucas, Jr. was born in September, 1978. He was killed on August 1st, 2011, while conducting combat operations in Afghanistan while serving on his fourth deployment in the United States Marine Corps. He leaves behind his parents and three sisters, and a wife and three sons.

from CrossFit.com:

Marine Staff Sgt. Leon H. Lucas Jr. died Aug. 1, 2011, in Helmand Province, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained from an enemy grenade attack in the upper Gereshk Valley. The 32-year-old, of Wilson, North Carolina, was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, Twentynine Palms, California, and served during Operation Enduring Freedom. Lucas is survived by his wife, Mary; and children, Tyson, Zachary and Quentin.

“LUKE”

for time:
400m run
15 clean & jerks, 70/50kg
30 toes-to-bar
400m run
45 wall ball, 20/14#
400m run
45 kettlebell swings, 24/16kg
400m run
30 ring dips
400m run
15 barbell lunges, 70/50kg
400m run

To learn more about Staff Sgt. Lucas Jr. there is a moving video here and a tribute Facebook community here.

Screen Shot 2015-02-08 at 5.28.41 PM

FCF Athlete Spotlight: Teddy B. (1/3)

Meet Teddy B.

-Are you from Seattle? If not, where are you originally from?
I’ve lived in Seattle for over 14 years. I was born in Taiwan, grew up in Chicago, lived in Tokyo for a few years, spent a short time in Fort Lauderdale, my parents are in North Carolina and I went to school there. But I’m from Seattle.
 -When is your birthday?
May 6. I am 28. End of question.
-What do you do for work?
My official title is senior developer and I build websites. But really I just watch the clock all day until I can go to the gym again or drink wine.
-What made you decide to give CrossFit a try?
There were 3 triggers. First I saw a TV commercial for CrossFit and I was like, “Damn, those guys are HOT!” Second, I have a friend who started 2 years before me and I watched her amazing transformation and accomplishments on Facebook. Last, Trainer Bob from The Biggest Loser said it was the best fitness program he’d ever tried, so I was like, if Trainer Bob says so!
-What is your most recent PR?
My #1 goal for 2015 is to get a 182kg 1RM back squat, which is 400 lbs. Last max week I got 160kg, so I’m getting closer!
-Any fun facts about yourself that your gym-mates don’t know about you?
I’m really into mushroom hunting and foraging for other wild foods. I run a small mushroom conference every October at Breitenbush Hot Springs in the Oregon Cascades, last year I organized the annual conference for the North American mushroom association, and I’ve been a board member for the Puget Sound mushroom society for 4 years. This year I plan on getting a dog so I can start hunting for truffles, too. I’m really into it.
I love to gamble. Craps, blackjack, poker, paigow, bingo. My best gambling moment to date happened when I was playing 2 hands at the same time in paigow. One hand had a straight flush and the other hand had a royal flush. $$$ I love to play Settlers of Catan, and was the “mayor” of the West Coast region of the online version of the game for 2 years. I bet you didn’t even know that was a thing! I’ve actually chatted with Klaus Teuber’s son Guido to work out bugs in the online game. NERD ALERT!
I’m pretty sure I will be shot twice and eaten by a shark. Not necessarily in succession.
Some of my life goals:
- To compete in the International Whistlers Convention
- To live in Paris
- To do a frickin handstand

SLU Athlete Spotlight: Kelsi A. (1/3)

Meet Kelsi A.

-What do you do for work?
February is my second month working as the Content Writer at Cody. For the few (or new) FCFSLUers who may not know, Cody is an online fitness app. It’s pretty much like Instagram for fitness, but obviously better. You can post and track your workouts, learn new skills, and be part of a great community. Working here is pretty freaking awesome. I get to write, watch, and talk about fitness all day long. Plus I can walk around in my socks, use the office couch as my desk, and take workout breaks. Kiiind of amazing.

-What made you decide to give CrossFit a try?
I had been going to a regular gym in the mornings before work for about a year and felt like I’d hit a plateau. Though I knew several people who did Crossfit, two of my good friends were regulars at SLU. One day at brunch I asked them to tell me about it. Of course I wasn’t asking because I was interested in joining – Crossfit was way too intimidating, intense, and I wasn’t interested in lifting. However I continued to be a bit bored by the gym and wanted a more social environment where I could work out (no one at the gym talks to each other, especially at 5am), so eventually I cautiously registered for orientation, reluctantly signed up for June 2013 Foundations, and the rest is history! I quit going to the other gym in the mornings almost a year ago because the dual workouts were not sustainable for me and I was having way more fun at SLU with the workout variety, super cool people, and the PRs!

-Speaking of, what’s your most recent PR?
Well last week I was super pissed off after sitting in SLU traffic for over half an hour and missing the start of 5:30 class, so I plugged in my headphones, went to warm up for my CompEx session, and I’m pretty sure I PRd my 500m row at around 1:50. If that doesn’t count, the week prior I definitely PRd my clean, which just happens to be my favorite lift. I finally hit 60kg! And yes, it was a full clean :)

-When is your birthday?
September 16th, and I’ve been told I am very much a Virgo! My last birthday was spent traveling around Spain and Paris with my younger brother, Jeff. We were gone for three weeks and it was the most wonderful experience. I took over 1,000 pictures and have been (slowwwly) writing about our travels on my photo blog. I plan to go somewhere else for my next birthday, and I’m very open to suggestions, so please share some of your favorite places with me!!

WELCOME NEW FOUNDATIONS GRADS!

Last week we wrapped up another round of Foundations at FCF. Please welcome these new, friendly faces in class!

BREAKFAST CLUB
AM (left to right, back row): Lauren Brogan, Kathleen Berroth, Andrew Espenes
AM (front row): Amanda Pleasant-Brown

IMG_2191

NOONERS
NOON (left to right): David Rotenburg, Brett Keeler, Matt Lee, Myisha Lamar, Teada Sun, C.J. Miller

unnamed

NIGHT OWLS
EVENING (left to right, back row): Saeng Pion, Nathan Rose, Gary Glouner, Will Levin, David Krieger, Vangie Peaslee, Will Anderson
EVENING (left to right, front row): Raphael Jose, Danielle Schropp, Matt Fordyce

foundations

FCF Athlete Spotlight: Aimee P. (3/3)

Aimee P.

Favorite place to go out for dinner?
Sitka and Spruce-They have the best god damn bread and butter! One of my first Whole30’s, I dreamt about their bread and butter the entire challenge and afterwards went directly there to order it. It’s a sourdough bread and fresh churned butter with sea salt on top. So simple. So good.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?
If I could have any super power I would have the ability to fly. Easy commuting. Free air travel. It would be bad ass.

As a kid, what was your ideal dream job?
I wanted to be a host on Evening Magazine. In elementary I went on a field trip to South Lake Union to see that big old boat that used to be there, anyway, Brian Tracy and Penny LeGate were there shooting a segment for Evening Magazine. We ended up meeting and taking photos with them. I was totally enamored and decided right then and there that I was going to be a host of Evening Magazine when I grew up. I applied to intern at Evening Magazine in college but was studying abroad in Prague and didn’t make it back in time for the internship. Instead, when I finally did come back to Seattle, I got a job at Monorail Espresso :)

Top three favorite movies?
I can list two, Princess Bride and Labyrinth. This question should really be, top three favorite television series because that is the new medium for excellent film. My top television series is Game of Thrones, duh.

Current favorite song?
Chet Faker-1998

Any fun facts about yourself that your gym-mates don’t know about you?
I used to live in LA and was an on-set barista. I worked on a bunch of movies and television shows and met famous people everyday. It was a pretty surreal job. It was a cool job to add to my resume: Aimee Peck- Barista to the Stars.

FCF Athlete Spotlight: Aimee P. (3/3)

Aimee P.

Sitka and Spruce-They have the best god damn bread and butter! One of my first Whole30’s, I dreamt about their bread and butter the entire challenge and afterwards went directly there to order it. It’s a sourdough bread and fresh churned butter with sea salt on top. So simple. So good.

If I could have any super power I would have the ability to fly. Easy commuting. Free air travel. It would be bad ass.

I wanted to be a host on Evening Magazine. In elementary I went on a field trip to South Lake Union to see that big old boat that used to be there, anyway, Brian Tracy and Penny LeGate were there shooting a segment for Evening Magazine. We ended up meeting and taking photos with them. I was totally enamored and decided right then and there that I was going to be a host of Evening Magazine when I grew up. I applied to intern at Evening Magazine in college but was studying abroad in Prague and didn’t make it back in time for the internship. Instead, when I finally did come back to Seattle, I got a job at Monorail Espresso :)

I can list two, Princess Bride and Labyrinth. This question should really be, top three favorite television series because that is the new medium for excellent film. My top television series is Game of Thrones, duh.

Current favorite song?
Chet Faker-1998

I used to live in LA and was an on-set barista. I worked on a bunch of movies and television shows and met famous people everyday. It was a pretty surreal job. It was a cool job to add to my resume: Aimee Peck- Barista to the Stars.

SLU Athlete Spotlight: Steven C. (3/3)

Steven C.

Thai food is quickly becoming comfort food for me. Ping’s Dumplings is also a great place for dinner.

The top super power on my list has been shapeshifting. But the power to never twist my ankle would be a worthy choice too.

Marine Biologist was my ideal dream job. In my youth, I loved—loved—flipping through field guides on sharks and reading about Alvin the deep-sea submersible. I’ll also share that SeaQuest 2032 and Flipper were favorite shows during that time.

StarDust, Emperor’s New Groove, and Mr. Nobody are three of my favorite movies. StarDust is a wonderful fairy tale about a young man trying to win the heart of his beloved. Emperor’s New Groove is filled with ridiculous skits thanks in part to David Spade and Patrick Warburton. Lastly, Mr. Nobody is a sci-fi drama about possibilities and relationships. The film explores alternative life paths the main character could have taken. What if you married another love or moved to a different city, how would life be different?

Current favorite song?
Based on my Spotify Year in Music, I would say my current favorite song is Brand New Day by Kodaline.

In 2011, I was a fashion designer along with my friend Dominique. Our collection was for the West 18th Street Fashion Show. This project is the latest e-textiles project I have done. In 2012, I gave a short e-textile primer at Ignite Seattle titled My Shirt Does More Than Sparkle.

Planning conferences and workshops are a yearly projects of mine. This past year, I organized the HIVE Conference for AIGA Seattle. For 2015, I’m organizing a creative retreat in Leavenworth for AIGA Seattle.

Lastly, I’ve been social dancing regularly for the last year. Lindy Hop, a type of swing dancing, is my social dance of choice.

SLU Athlete Spotlight: Steven C. (3/3)

Steven C.

Thai food is quickly becoming comfort food for me. Ping’s Dumplings is also a great place for dinner.

The top super power on my list has been shapeshifting. But the power to never twist my ankle would be a worthy choice too.

Marine Biologist was my ideal dream job. In my youth, I loved—loved—flipping through field guides on sharks and reading about Alvin the deep-sea submersible. I’ll also share that SeaQuest 2032 and Flipper were favorite shows during that time.

StarDust, Emperor’s New Groove, and Mr. Nobody are three of my favorite movies. StarDust is a wonderful fairy tale about a young man trying to win the heart of his beloved. Emperor’s New Groove is filled with ridiculous skits thanks in part to David Spade and Patrick Warburton. Lastly, Mr. Nobody is a sci-fi drama about possibilities and relationships. The film explores alternative life paths the main character could have taken. What if you married another love or moved to a different city, how would life be different?

Current favorite song?
Based on my Spotify Year in Music, I would say my current favorite song is Brand New Day by Kodaline.

In 2011, I was a fashion designer along with my friend Dominique. Our collection was for the West 18th Street Fashion Show. This project is the latest e-textiles project I have done. In 2012, I gave a short e-textile primer at Ignite Seattle titled My Shirt Does More Than Sparkle.

Planning conferences and workshops are a yearly projects of mine. This past year, I organized the HIVE Conference for AIGA Seattle. For 2015, I’m organizing a creative retreat in Leavenworth for AIGA Seattle.

Lastly, I’ve been social dancing regularly for the last year. Lindy Hop, a type of swing dancing, is my social dance of choice.

FCF Athlete Spotlight: Aimee P. (2/3)

Aimee P.

How long have you been with us? / What keeps you coming to our gym?
I started at FCF in July 2010 which means I will be celebrating five years this year! I keep coming back because the trainers push me to be my best, even when I don’t want to. [I keep going to the gym] Because CrossFit keeps my ass in shape. Because of the supportive community. Because of the friends I’ve made (shout out to my girl Robyn who’s been with me since the beginning). Because I like to support small business. Because the trainers are all well informed and AMAZING! Because CrossFit forces me to be the best version of myself.

What class time do you usually go to?
I INVENTED the 3:30 class time. I kept bugging Andrew to have earlier afternoon classes. I wanted 2pm, he compromised at 3:30. My schedule changed a little bit this summer, so now I come in at 11am but I still pop in at the 3:30 from time to time.

Do you have a favorite CrossFit exercise? Least favorite?
My favorite CrossFit workouts include anything that tones my tummy, buns, and thighs (squats, sit-ups, lunges) because beach bodies are the reason we show up everyday, right? But I really enjoy doing heavier Olympic weightlifting movements, specifically clean and jerks. Least favorite: Cast-wall walks

What’s your most recent PR?
I have an issue with hip and ankle mobility so landing in the bottom of a squat snatch has always been difficult for me (my height doesn’t help either). Because of this I pretty much always power snatch which means my snatches generally suck. That was until a few weeks ago, Zeb suggested I split snatch. This rocked my world. I PR’d my snatch at 40kg the first day. I’m excited to see where the split snatch will take me.

What outside-the-gym activities you like to participate in? How has your performance changed with your increased fitness?
As I mentioned before, I like to sail. My increased strength helps raise the sails, trim the lines, and raise my drink to my mouth faster.

SLU Athlete Spotlight: Steven C. (2/3)

Steven C.

How long have you been with us? What keeps you coming to our gym?
My second year anniversary with Crossfit SLU was Aug 2014. Its the community and friends that keeps me coming to the gym. Given that my office has moved to the U-District, the pull of the gym is stronger. I can’t image switching to another gym.

What class time do you usually go to?
Generally during the evening sessions after 5:00.

Do you have a favorite CrossFit exercise? Least favorite?
Clean & Jerks are by far my favorite workout, thus I am a fan of Grace. Any workout with wall balls is my least favorite. They are so brutal.

What’s your most recent PR?
132 kg back squat is my most recent PR. There was a time I back squatted 140 kg during a Verses match, but that is crazy talk.

What outside-the-gym activities you like to participate in? How has your performance changed with your increased fitness?
I’m loving relay races suddenly. Skiing and social dancing are other outside-the-gym activities I am interested to increasing. Having increased fitness has granted greater control over my body and awareness of what I can physically achieve. My 2012 self would never have imagined all the things I am doing now.